24.05.2005 - 04:47:42
On 141st memorial of 21 May 1864 end of resistance to tzarist Russia after 270 years of Russian-Caucasus Wars and ensuing deportation of the Caucasus peoples, The Caucasus Foundation of Istanbul became the host of an international conference with three sessions and 15 submitted papers.
The theme ´´The Tragedy of Caucasus Yesterday and Today´´ is explored and examined thoroughly.
The following is the communique of the conference declared to the world public opinion...
´´The Tragedy of Caucasus Yesterday and Today´´
an International Conference by The Caucasus Foundation
´´The Tragedy of Caucasus Yesterday and Today´´
May 21, 2005 CRR Harbiye Istanbul
On 141st memorial of 21 May 1864 end of resistance to tzarist Russia after 270 years of Russian-Caucasus Wars and ensuing deportation of the Caucasus peoples, The Caucasus Foundation of Istanbul became the host of an international conference with three sessions and 15 submitted papers. The theme ´´The Tragedy of Caucasus Yesterday and Today´´ is explored and examined thoroughly. The following is the communique of the conference declared to the world public opinion.
* Priority must be given to the fact that any solution formula to Caucasus problems depends on a change of mentality of the current management of Russia, the dominant power. The current intelligence backgrounded management of Russia, is distrustful, restrictive and destructive. The current Russian Adminisration creates fertile grounds to increase the size of the problems instead of producing solutions and handles it with limitless power. This situation necessitates to support the countering Russian intelligentsia. Solidarity of democratic structures of Russia must be encouraged. The problems at Caucasus will be solved at the same pace of advancement of democracy in Russia.
* The deliberate and systematic destruction of Caucasus peoples in millions and their land during the past centuries being the imperial scheme of the tzarist Russia, the ensuing genocidal deportation and forcible resettlement has completely changed the demographics at Caucasus. The modern definition of tzarist Russian crimes in international law is ´´Genocide´´ and ´´Crimes against humanity.´´
* The Genocide tradition of Russia has continued during the Soviet era. Chechen-Ingush, Karachai-Balkars, Mesketians, Crimeans were deported to Siberia within short hours and the majority of them were perished during the exile.
* The same genocidal policy is continuing right now during the reign of Kremlin regime in the Russian Federation. 250 thousand civilan population including 42 thousand children are killed by Russian Airforce bombardment in Chechnya. 20 thousand civilians were taken to unknown places and made unknown. 400 thousand civilians are scattered worldwide looking for safe havens. 421 Chechen settlements have been completely demolished with no chance to settle. The warring sides in Chechnya must come to an immediate ceasefire without any preconditions. The differences must be settled by peaceful means at negotiation table.
* The genocide and the damage on Caucasus demographics is so severe that 141 years has only increased the pains. The management of the Russian Federation must take the responsibility of committed crimes against the Peoples of Caucasus by the Russian Federation, by the tzarist Russia and by the Soviets inherited within time. The victimized Caucasus Peoples must be immediately compensated.
* Contribution of Russian people to the unfolding processes is essential to peace and stability at Caucasus.
* Official statements on ´´Liquidation of ethnic republics´´ is a source of anxiety. Faits accomplis like ´´Merging the Republic of Adygeya with Krasnodar and other republics will follow´´ is totally unacceptable. The imperial scheme of the tzarist Russia since the 16th Century has evolved into demographic genocide at Caucasus. Contemporary ´´Referendum´´ plays won´t contribute to peace and harmony at Caucasus.
* The Republic of Abkhazia has successfully curbed the Georgian military aggression with a heavy cost. Ensuing poverty and embargo for 12 years has not served to its purpose. The struggle of the People of Abkhazia deserves most respect. The extraordinary determination of the Abkhaz People to uphold their independence must be welcomed by international recognition. Freedom of travel to and from Abkhazia must be immediately secured.
* Genocide and deportation crimes of Russia against the Circassians and Caucasus Peoples must be investigated. Rights of the victims must be defended at international institutions by an organization.
* United Nations, UNPO The Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation, international human rights organisations, all governments, all NGOs must activate their mechanisms to end the continuing ´´Genocide at North Caucasus´´ since the 16th Century.
* This unique conference must be held at a European capital with international participation within two years.
On the Conference Communique of ´´The Tragedy of Caucasus Yesterday and Today´´ an International Conference by The Caucasus Foundation May 21, 2005 CRR Harbiye Istanbul:
This Conference Communique is prepared in light of the communicated realities in three sessions by 15 speakers and by their suggestions. The Communique is voiced to more than 500 conference guests and declared to the world public.