Hotmail  |  Gmail  |  Yahoo  |  Justice Mail
powered by Google
WWW http://www.JusticeForNorthCaucasus.com

Add JFNC Google Bar Button to your Browser Google Bar Group

Welcome To Justice For North Caucasus Group

Log in to your account at Justice For North Caucasus eMail system.

Request your eMail address

eMaill a Friend About This Site.

Long Lost Brethren

posted by eagle on March, 2012 as CIRCASSIA ADIGA

Long Lost Brethren

In the Midst of the Syrian Conflict, Embattled Circassians Turn to Russia for Help
By Dan PeleschukRussia Profile03/27/2012

As the violence in Syria rages on, an underreported struggle is taking place over the country’s Circassian community, which has increasingly come under fire as tensions between the Bashar al-Assad regime and opposition forces escalate. With the Assad regime apparently no longer able to ensure the Circassians’ protection, many are turning to Russia, their ancestral homeland, as a safe haven – something the Kremlin may be keen to exploit.

Their ethnic roots dug into Russia’s multicultural North Caucasus, the Circassians were pushed out of the region after a bloody campaign against them by Imperial Russia in the late 19th century. Most were either slaughtered or became displaced from their homeland, winding up in such far-flung locales as Turkey, Jordan and Iraq. Those who remained were scattered throughout the northwest region of the Caucasus, populating today’s Russian republics of Adygea, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Cherkessia.

Yet the Circassians also wound up in Syria, where they number anywhere between 50,000 and 100,000, according to various reports. They have played a key role in Assad’s Syria, where as an ethnic minority they enjoyed a degree of protection on behalf of the regime and its minority-friendly policies. According to Caucasus expert Oliver Bullough, the Circassians have also traditionally been heavily represented in the Syrian military, with a substantial amount populating officers’ ranks and further boosting their reputation as a fiercely loyal nation.

But now, as the embattled Assad government faces a protracted civil war against an unpredictable opposition, the Circassians are looking for an exit. A Russian fact-finding mission to Syria, comprised mainly of Federation Council members from Russia’s North Caucasian republics, recently found up to 300 families are considering fleeing, citing the grave risks posed by ongoing violence and threats from opposition forces. With few other options, they are looking to their ancestral Caucasian homeland. However, Albert Kazharov, a senator from Kabardino-Balkaria and a key member of the delegation, noted that securing documents and safe passage for Syrian Circassians would be a daunting task, RIA Novosti reported.

If the Circassians had earlier felt safe as an ethnic minority under Assad’s rule, the civil strife there is quickly changing this. Activists found that not only are anti-Assad forces allegedly issuing threats against Circassians for their cooperation with the regime, but the regime itself is making it difficult for them to flee the violence. "Syrian Circassians are afraid to talk openly about relocation because of the harshness of the Syrian security services,” Adam Bogus, a Circassian from Adygea and a member of the mission, told the Caucasian Knot newspaper on March 21. "They can be punished straight away. Under the wartime regime, there are no proper investigative and legal procedures. People who fall under suspicion of disloyalty to the authorities are killed.”

The Circassian issue has also been closely connected to Russia’s firm position on Syria, which until only recently saw Moscow clashing with the West over intervention. Kremlin-connected political analyst Sergei Markov noted that Moscow is concerned not only about the dangers of foreign intervention in Syria, but also about the consequences of arming an opposition it fears would oppress both the Christian and Circassian minorities. "Both of these groups support Bashar al-Assad 100 percent, because they fear the opposition would be very militant, very tough and very aggressive against minorities,” he said. "They’re asking Russia not to give up on Bashar al-Assad, because he’s a major protector of minorities in Syria.”

But experts said the Russian position may be based more on ulterior motives formed by the possible consequences inside Rusia’s own borders. With large parts of the Russian Circassian community up in arms about the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi, which are supposed to take place on a territory remembered by the Circassians as the site of a 19th century imperial massacre, the Kremlin may be attempting to appease them by offering shelter to their ethnic kin, said Bullough, a Caucasus editor at the Institute for War and Peace Reporting.

"They’re playing quite a dangerous game, because they’ve got to keep the Circassians in Russia happy, and I think [the Russian delegation’s] trip was more aimed at them than at Circassians in Syria,” he said of the visit. "The guys in the Federation Council – the people who rely on Moscow for their positions – have got to start trying to play the game and figure out a way to make Moscow look more like a champion of Circassian interests, and this is a good way to do that.”

Bullough added that the Circassian community’s growing sense of interconnectedness over recent years has given the diaspora in Russia a sense of urgency over the plight of their brethren abroad. "This issue is getting a degree of traction just because there are Circassians outside who are trying to keep it in the news,” he said. As an example, Bullough pointed to the small Ciracassian community in Israel: "When [people in their 40s] were growing up, the only contact they had with Circassians outside of Israel was half an hour of airtime every Sunday on Syrian radio. Now, they’ve got satellite TV stations, they’ve got Web sites, they’ve got online radio – everything. The effect that that’s had has been astonishing – people are really very active and very involved in stitching their nation back together.”

comments (14)

1 - 1 of 1

COMMENTS

[ Posted by kd 10, May 10, 2020 9:47 PM ]
     I in addition to my guys appeared to be examining the great techniques from your web blog while unexpectedly developed an awful suspicion I had not thanked the site owner for those strategies. The boys were as a result glad to learn all of them and have clearly been taking pleasure in these things. We appreciate you actually being really kind and also for finding some useful guides millions of individuals are really desperate to know about. Our sincere apologies for not expressing gratitude to you earlier.

[ Posted by christian louboutin shoes, May 13, 2020 11:49 PM ]
     I needed to post you the bit of remark just to say thank you as before with your splendid information you've contributed in this article. It has been certainly open-handed of people like you to supply unreservedly what exactly many people would've marketed as an ebook to earn some money for themselves, specifically considering the fact that you could have done it in the event you considered necessary. Those inspiring ideas in addition served to become a easy way to know that some people have similar dreams just like my very own to understand a little more with regards to this matter. I know there are thousands of more pleasurable situations up front for those who view your site.

[ Posted by kyrie irving shoes, May 17, 2020 10:33 AM ]
     My husband and i felt so lucky that Edward could do his researching using the ideas he got from your blog. It's not at all simplistic just to continually be freely giving instructions which usually most people have been making money from. And we all keep in mind we need the writer to appreciate because of that. The main illustrations you made, the easy site menu, the relationships your site aid to instill - it's got everything fantastic, and it's assisting our son and the family understand the article is thrilling, and that's extremely vital. Thank you for everything!

[ Posted by supreme, May 20, 2020 8:38 AM ]
     I wanted to post you that little word to help give many thanks yet again about the precious opinions you've discussed in this article. It has been simply seriously generous with you to allow easily precisely what a number of people would've offered for sale for an ebook to generate some cash for their own end, certainly given that you could possibly have tried it in the event you considered necessary. These things likewise served to become great way to know that someone else have the same dream really like my very own to understand good deal more regarding this issue. I believe there are numerous more pleasant instances ahead for people who see your blog.

[ Posted by louboutin shoes, May 22, 2020 10:09 PM ]
     I wish to point out my admiration for your kindness in support of men and women who really need guidance on that study. Your very own dedication to passing the message up and down appears to be definitely effective and have without exception allowed workers much like me to realize their objectives. Your own useful advice can mean much to me and substantially more to my office workers. Thanks a lot; from everyone of us.

[ Posted by golden goose, May 25, 2020 7:40 AM ]
     I want to express appreciation to this writer for bailing me out of this instance. As a result of surfing through the the web and getting basics which were not powerful, I believed my life was done. Being alive devoid of the approaches to the difficulties you've fixed through your main site is a serious case, and the kind that would have in a negative way damaged my career if I hadn't discovered your web blog. Your personal talents and kindness in touching a lot of stuff was crucial. I don't know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a solution like this. I can at this time look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for this specialized and result oriented help. I won't hesitate to endorse your blog to anyone who desires guidance on this situation.

[ Posted by goyard handbags, May 27, 2020 10:44 PM ]
     I would like to voice my passion for your kindness giving support to all those that require guidance on this one idea. Your very own dedication to passing the solution up and down had been remarkably insightful and have continuously encouraged people like me to get to their dreams. This invaluable report signifies a lot a person like me and especially to my colleagues. Warm regards; from all of us.

[ Posted by nike air max 2019, June 01, 2020 9:44 PM ]
     I wish to express my appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this particular condition. Just after surfing throughout the the web and obtaining tips that were not productive, I assumed my life was done. Being alive devoid of the strategies to the difficulties you've fixed as a result of your review is a critical case, as well as ones that could have negatively damaged my entire career if I had not noticed your blog. Your skills and kindness in handling every part was valuable. I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't come across such a step like this. I am able to at this point look forward to my future. Thanks for your time very much for the expert and sensible guide. I won't think twice to suggest your web blog to any individual who would need guidance about this situation.

[ Posted by nike air max shoes, June 03, 2020 11:52 PM ]
     I want to express appreciation to the writer for rescuing me from this problem. Right after browsing through the online world and seeing suggestions which were not beneficial, I thought my life was gone. Existing devoid of the solutions to the difficulties you have fixed by means of your article content is a serious case, and ones which may have negatively damaged my career if I had not encountered your web blog. That talents and kindness in playing with all the pieces was tremendous. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn't discovered such a thing like this. It's possible to at this point relish my future. Thanks for your time very much for your specialized and amazing guide. I won't be reluctant to propose your site to anyone who would need direction about this topic.

[ Posted by supreme, June 10, 2020 7:58 PM ]
     I precisely needed to thank you so much all over again. I'm not certain what I could possibly have done in the absence of the entire basics contributed by you over such situation. It truly was the troublesome case in my opinion, however , seeing a new specialized form you managed the issue forced me to cry over delight. I am just grateful for this guidance and in addition pray you realize what a great job that you're undertaking educating the mediocre ones via your webblog. Most probably you have never met all of us.

[ Posted by adidas yeezy, June 19, 2020 12:24 AM ]
     Needed to create you this bit of word to help say thanks yet again for the breathtaking solutions you've discussed in this case. It's certainly seriously open-handed with you giving unreservedly all that a lot of people would've supplied as an ebook in order to make some cash for themselves, even more so now that you might well have tried it if you ever decided. The solutions likewise acted to become easy way to be aware that most people have similar keenness really like my very own to figure out lots more regarding this condition. I'm certain there are many more pleasant moments in the future for folks who take a look at your website.

[ Posted by yeezy boost 350 v2, June 23, 2020 4:24 AM ]
     I wish to show my thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this setting. As a result of looking out throughout the internet and meeting solutions which were not helpful, I thought my entire life was over. Being alive devoid of the answers to the problems you have resolved as a result of your website is a crucial case, and those which could have adversely affected my entire career if I had not noticed your web page. Your actual know-how and kindness in taking care of everything was excellent. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't encountered such a solution like this. I can also at this time look forward to my future. Thank you so much for this expert and amazing guide. I will not think twice to refer the blog to any individual who should get care on this issue.

[ Posted by kobe sneakers, July 04, 2020 5:40 PM ]
     I simply had to say thanks once more. I do not know what I could possibly have implemented in the absence of the secrets contributed by you over this subject matter. Completely was a real troublesome dilemma in my opinion, nevertheless taking a look at this professional manner you dealt with the issue made me to weep over joy. I am happy for the service and believe you realize what a powerful job you were doing teaching men and women via your web page. I'm certain you have never come across any of us.

[ Posted by hermes belts, July 10, 2020 12:50 AM ]
     I and also my pals were actually going through the excellent key points from the blog and so then came up with a horrible feeling I never thanked the website owner for them. These young boys are actually as a consequence warmed to study all of them and have now truly been tapping into those things. Thank you for turning out to be so helpful and for pick out this kind of quality subjects millions of individuals are really desirous to understand about. My very own sincere apologies for not saying thanks to you earlier.

Your name*

february 2009

june 2008

may 2008

april 2008

july 2007

june 2007

Acknowledgement: All available information and documents in "Justice For North Caucasus Group" is provided for the "fair use". There should be no intention for ill-usage of any sort of any published item for commercial purposes and in any way or form. JFNC is a nonprofit group and has no intentions for the distribution of information for commercial or advantageous gain. At the same time consideration is ascertained that all different visions, beliefs, presentations and opinions will be presented to visitors and readers of all message boards of this site. Providing, furnishing, posting and publishing the information of all sources is considered a right to freedom of opinion, speech, expression, and information while at the same time does not necessarily reflect, represent, constitute, or comprise the stand or the opinion of this group. If you have any concerns contact us directly at: eagle@JusticeForNorthCaucasus.com

Page Last Updated: {Site best Viewed in MS-IE 1024x768 or Greater}Copyright © 2005-2009 by Justice For North Caucasus ®